Thursday, February 27, 2014

Traditional Vietnamese Coffee

This heatwave we are experiencing in Cape Town has reminded me of my travels in Vietnam where it is like this almost permanently, my favorite holiday of all time I recall arriving in Saigon at 6am, we couldn't check into our rooms yet so we hit the city streets. I am totally a morning coffee girl especially at work where problems arise before my cuppa.


My travel partners and I try eat and drink locally where possible, forgoing the chains like Starbucks, we sat at a tiny coffee shop and I ordered their speciality of course. This was the best coffee I had ever had, loaded with ice and slightly sweetened I gulped it down, some had coffee jelly balls (caviar) floating inside which was even more of a treat.

Here is my version to refresh on this hot day, putting my Caffeluxe machine to good use along with my favorite kitchen gadget, my Kenwood machine.

This recipe has dairy, sugar and caffeine, drink after a workout.

Vietnamese Iced Coffee
Makes 1 glass


Double shot of espresso, I used Caffeluxe
2tbsp condensed milk
Full tray of ice

Place all the ingredients into a liquidizer and blend until the ice crystals are fine.

May replace the condensed milk with almond milk and a bit of honey or stevia if you are lactose intolerant. This will also work as a Rooibos drink if you replace the coffee with a strong Rooibos shot.


Recipe and article copyright by Tamsyn Wells



No comments: