Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thai Mango and Sticky Rice

When life gives you mangoes you just have to make sticky rice to go with it, traveling through Vietnam and Thailand with my foodie friends is always the best part of my year as they introduce me to all these amazing foods, so simple but a taste memory I will never forget.

A year later I decided to recreate my own version craving the salty sweet flavour, unfortunately the Tim Noakes dieters must stay away from this dish, I may try make a quinoa version at a later date when I have finished indulging in mine.

Traditionally Thai sweet rice is used or glutinous rice, I only use Jasmine or Basmati in my house so below is my version, much lighter and a little less sticky than what you would find in Thailand but still hits the savoury sweet spot.

Suitable for vegetarians and lactose intolerant.

Mango and Sticky rice 
Serves 4


1 cup Jasmine rice
1/3 tin coconut milk (400g tin)
1tsp salt
1 tbsp light brown sugar
2 Mangoes, perfectly ripe

Coconut sauce:
2/3 tin coconut milk
3 tsp light brown sugar
about 1 tsp salt, depending on your taste

Soak the rice covered in water for 20 minutes, rinse and strain.
Measure 2 cups of liquid, include the 1/3 tin of coconut milk and water, place in a pot and bring gently to the boil with 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp brown sugar.
Add the soaked and rinsed rice and turn the heat to its lowest simmering with a lid half on.
Stir occasionally, cook for about 8 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the beads of rice are almost cooked. Switch off the heat, place the lid on and leave for about 6 minutes to rest.

Meanwhile make the coconut sauce, heat all ingredients in a pot but do not boil as it will split. Add the salt and sugar to your taste.

Peel the mango and slice.

Remove the rice from the pot and allow it to com down to room temperature.
Once cool serve yourself half a mango with some rice on the side topped with coconut sauce, I added sesame seeds but the traditional topping is a crispy like puffed rice topping.

Recipe and picture copyright by Tamsyn Wells




No comments: