Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore


Being a chef you would think I don't cook when I get home but I always feel like something nourishing and tasty, maybe this is from when I used to live at home, I would come home to my Mom's leftover dinners and tuck in after my shift which could be around 11pm.
It seems lately my dinners have been inspired by the Television. It all started when my boyfriend watched Jamie Oliver making Gnocchi and then decided to make some himself which turned out really great, they were soft and melt in the mouth.
Recently I watched Gary Rhodes making Chicken Cacciatore in Italy and have been wanting to make my own version ever since.
We both served it with Polenta however not being much of a cream and rich cheese eater, I made mine with stock and very little Parmesan and replaced the load of butter with a big glug of Extra Virgin Olive oil, I also add vegetables to the Cacciatore which is not traditional but I like it.

Chicken Cacciatore

Serves 4

Sauce:
1 tin 410g whole peeled tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1 carrot grated
fresh basil
20g Calamata olives pipped
worcestershire sauce
10ml balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

1 pk chicken pieces 1.2kg (I used the Skinless drumstick and thigh pack)
4 medium baby marrow, sliced
1/2 pk button mushrooms


Polenta:
1 cup instant polenta
4 cups water
1 tsp Ina Parman chicken stock powder
50 g parmesan grated
80ml extra virgin olive oil

Sauce:Make the sauce by frying the garlic, add the tin of tomatoes and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
Add the carrot and seasonings and allow to cook for 30 minutes, season.

Chicken:Fry the seasoned chicken pieces until golden brown and pour in a casserole dish.
Place the baby marrow and mushrooms on top and when the sauce is ready, pour it over, close the lid and bake for 1 - 1.5 hours . Thicken the sauce with cornflour if necessary.

Polenta: Bring the water, stock and salt to the boil, pour the polenta in while whisking, allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Add olive oil, parmesan and check seasoning.
Pour into an oiled dish and allow to set.

Cut the polenta into squares and serve topped with the rich chicken and sauce.

Picture and Recipe Copyright by Tamsyn Wells.

No comments: