Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Minato Sushi Restaurant Review




Lately I have been having a Sushi addiction every week but it's no longer for the usual maki's, nigiri's or California rolls, I have upgraded my choice to only eating Willoughby's and Co's four by four plate which if you have never had it, its four huge rolls with thick teriyaki sauce and four huge California rolls topped with tempura prawns tossed in a sweet chilli mayonnaise... Yum!

I was invited to meet a friend at Minato just off long street which after reading up about it I thought it may give Willoughby's some competition.

Walking in the look of the place is as they call on Diner's Drive in's and Dives, a Dive using their rating or as I call them hidden gems, it has rickety chairs, skew pictures on the walls, Asian decor everywhere and messages to the customer stuck all over the walls saying things like no children under 10 yrs, please complain directly to the owner and pages with the sushi names and prices written on it.

There are notes to the customer once again printed in the menu, it states please be patient as the place is run by the owner, who makes all the sushi, his wife and two waitresses, well there was only one waitress on this night and this is not enough to give the customers good service as this poor waitress seats guests, takes the orders, pours the drinks, serves the food, does the bill and resets the tables so luckily we only went at 9pm and some of the people in the full restaurant were leaving so we could grab her attention.

The Menu has plenty of sushi to choose from, based on my love of the four by four I chose the San Diego California roll which has tempura avocado inside and I had the Bullet roll which has Salmon and egg omelets inside then the whole roll is dipped in tempura batter and fried then drizzled with a spicy mayonnaise, high calorie but delicious.

Our food took about an hour from order to arrival but as they say it was worth the wait, the batter was thin and crisp, the rice held together and tasted great and the fresh fish was a very high standard. They were easy to eat and everybody's food at the table looked great. I just want to mention if you are sensitive to the taste of deep fried foods then don't  eat the rolls that are completely coated in tempura as it does have a slight oily flavour but for me the ginger , wasabi and soy sauce cut through the oil and I really enjoyed it.

I still put Willoughby's as my favorite but Minato is definitely a close second place.

Minato
4 Buiten street
City Centre
021- 4234712

PS. Since this post Minato's has become my favorite sushi spot where we go with great new friends and  enjoy this great place at least once a week : )

No comments: