Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thick Crust Pizza


There has always been a battle of the pizza crust, thin or thick, which on is better... well I would say  they are both great, thin is crispy and you can taste all the toppings and thick is gooey and hearty.
This can also be made into mini pizza bites for cocktail parties.


I decided to make this the other day as its easier to make to each persons preference,  I like mine with no cheese, my brother likes everything on top but no olives and my boyfriend wanted just tomato and cheese so I made two large pizza's and just divided it up with different toppings spread in sections. 
I made my dough but you can just order some from your local bakery, allow it to rise as per my method in the bowl and follow on from there.
This recipe contains wheat but can be made vegetarian. This dough can be used to make bread, focaccia, pizza or vetkoek.

Chicago- style thick crust pizza
Serves 6

30g fresh yeast or 3 packets instant dried yeast
30g honey or sugar
625ml tepid water
1kg strong bread flour or I used Cake Flour
30g salt
30ml olive oil
extra flour for dusting

Place the flour in your mixer / processor with the yeast, salt, honey and olive oil. mix through.
Add the tepid water and mix to a dough, if it is sticking to the mixer just add a bit more flour until it mixes without sticking but is a nice soft dough.
Mix for 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, grease the bowl with oil and place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a tea towel and put in a warm place until doubled in size.
Knock the dough back and then flatten into trays, It will make 2 Swiss roll tins of about 30 cm by 20cm. Spray the tin with spray and cook and dust lightly with flour. Allow the dough to rise once again in the pans. Brush lightly with olive oil.
Par bake on 220 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. 

Top with my fresh Pomodoro sauce but reduced until thick. http://oliviaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/home-made-macaroni-rigate-with-quick.html
your favorite toppings, fresh herbs and mozzarella.

Picture and recipe copyright by Tamsyn Wells



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lol it's an Olivia Pizza : )