Friday, December 23, 2011

The Paleolithic Diet



I'm a chef so its almost impossible to diet and I never really have been on one as although being in a kitchen all day, my food choices are 90 percent healthy. I also suffer with a bit of lactose intolerance so I already have to cut dairy out of my diet which is tough enough. My boyfriend says he needs to watch what he eats.... well he blames me and all the goodies I make and the fact that he sits at a computer all day where I am running around at work most of the time. He asked me to check out the Paleolithic diet and see if I can try it with our meals at home. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-food-list/

It basically says we should eat food only of the Paleolithic period so this would be eating meat, fish, some vegetables, fruits, seeds and oils. Cut out, pulses, breads / grain products, starches, processed and sweetened foods and dairy.
Meats and fish should be organic where possible and the rule with the vegetables is that if you can eat it raw then you can eat it on this diet.

All fruits and nuts are fine however if you are trying to loose weight then cut them out. Above is an example of one of my dinners and below is a weeks menu.
I must say I am a bread and potato fan and have not even missed it with our meals yet. The meal above is seared Norwegian Salmon, sauteed baby spinach with sesame seeds, beetroot and a tomato and avocado salad.


Week 1

BreakfastLunchDinnerSnack
Monday
Bowl of berries /w coconut milk
Salad /w roasted chicken, cherry tomatoes & olive oil / lemon juice vinaigrettePaleo SpaghettiMacadamia nuts
TuesdayLeftover paleo spaghettiChicken & veggie soup /wliver pâtéBeef goulashBeef jerky
WednesdayOnion and spinach omelet /w leftover liver pâtéTuna salad wrapped in lettuce /w almondsBeef bourguignon
Dessert:Coconut ice cream
Hard boiled eggs
ThursdayBacon & eggs /w piece of fruitZucchini and sweet potato frittataGrilled trout /wbutternut squash soupPork Rinds
FridayCoconut milk smoothieCitrus beef salad stir-fryCitrus roast chicken /wsweet potato friesBowl of berries /w almonds
SaturdayCold Leftover roast chicken /w mayoLemon & garlic scallops
Dessert: Coconut ice cream
Bone marrow/w Waldorf salad
Dessert:Baked apples
Dark chocolate covered bacon
SundayTomato and egg stir-fryBacon, grape & broccoli saladButter chickenRaw veggies /w guacamole
Picture and article Copyright by Tamsyn Wells

No comments: