Monday, November 24, 2014

Coconut, rice flour and chia seed pancakes

I have been missing from my blog for a while due to the fact I bought an entry to the 70.3 half Ironman race which is taking place in January next year... it's just around the corner now, so when I am free from work I am training most of the time, not to mention the fact that I have not really had a chance for restaurant testing either as our only stop is for breakfast and beer to fuel our long rides.


One of the other lessons we learning lately is firstly waking up early and having a need to eat something that your stomach will tolerate at 4:30am as well as foods that we can take with on our training that will give us the endurance we need.

So I find myself on my off day with a cupboard full of foods to aid my training so I came up with this recipe, the chia seed is known for its omega 3 and endurance capabilities, the coconut is energy dense and easily digested as well as contains loads of electrolytes needed to replenish your lost fluids.


Coconut, rice flour and chia seed pancakes
Makes 3 x10cm 

80ml rice flour
80ml cake flour
7.5ml baking Powder
10ml crushed flaked almonds
2tbsp rough chop fresh coconut (optional, can replace with dessicated)
1tbsp chia seeds, allowed to swell in 100ml water for 10 minutes
2 eggs
10ml honey, I use raw
80ml coconut milk
pinch of salt
Oil and spray and cook for frying

Mix the dry ingredients together, flours, baking powder, almonds and coconut.
Separately mix the wet ingredients, honey, eggs, chia mix, salt and coconut milk.
Slowly add the wet to the dry and mix until smooth.
Spray a non stick pan with spray and cook, add a little oil just to coat the pan, allow to heat.
Pour a third of the mix into the pan or make them as big as you wish, fry until golden on both sides and repeat with the mix.
I served with raw honey and butter melted on top but it would go great with jam and cream, mashed banana and yoghurt, ice cream, bacon and maple syrup. 
Enjoy warm.


Recipe and pictures copyright by Tamsyn Wells


No comments: