Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pilchard Dhaltjies, pickled green beans and herby feta dip


Another freshly blogged post, please vote for my recipe here #freshlyblogged 

I have always loved the Lucky Star tin, catching my eye every time I walk down the canned goods isle however I normally grab sardines or tuna which is why I am enjoying the Freshly Blogged Competition, it’s making me more adventurous in my shopping where before I would grab all my usuals, I now search for different products inspiring me to try different meals at home but still cost effective.


Pilchard Dhaltjies or Chilli Bites
1x 400g Tin Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato sauce
1 cabbage leaf, finely chiffonade
100ml P n’ P brown rice
½ lemon, juiced
few sprigs parsley
2 eggs
150ml cake flour
1- 2 ml chilli powder
2ml paprika
2 ml turmeric
2 ml cumin powder
Salt and pepper
500ml sunflower oil for deep frying

Bring a pot of water to the boil with a spoon of salt and boil the brown for 30 minutes then drain.
Remove the spine bone from the pilchards and then place in a bowl, add other ingredients and mix until smooth.
Bring the oil up to temperature in a deep pan.
Using two spoons quenelle the mixture into the hot oil frying on all sides.
Squeeze some lemon over and serve with pickled green beans and feta dip.

Pickled green beans  
100g green beans cut just the bottom off and rinse
Juice 5 lemons and strain (250ml)
50ml sugar
10ml salt
5ml mustard seeds

Place a consol pickle jar into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes to sterilize.
Place the lemon juice in a pot with the sugar, salt, mustard seeds and 50ml water, add the green beans and bring to the boil.
Adjust seasoning; it must be sweet sour, tangy. Pour into the consol jar and allow to pickle in the refrigerator for 1-2 days

Herby feta dip

250g P ‘n P feta
50ml milk
few sprigs parsley
Squeeze of lemon
Ground Black pepper

Roughly chop the parsley, place in a bowl with other ingredients and using a hand blender, pulse until smooth, season to taste.

Recipe and picture copyright by Tamsyn Wells


No comments: